Road map of Delaware with distances between cities
Delaware map highway free
Highway map of Delaware state. Detailed highways and roads map of Delaware state with cities and towns. Delaware road map with exit numbers.
Delaware roads map
Highway map of Delaware 2021. Free road map of Delaware state.
Funny and true nicknames of the state Delaware
- Chemical Capital of the World (due to one time being the corporate headquarters for several international chemical companies.)
- Corporate Capital (due to the state's business-friendly incorporation laws)
- Diamond State (Thomas Jefferson is supposed to have referred to Delaware as being like a diamond- small in size but great in value)
- Blue Hen State or Blue Hen Chicken State
- The First State (Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution; currently used on license plates)
- Peach State (no longer used; see Georgia)
- Small Wonder
- The First State: Delaware was the first state to ratify the U.S. Constitution in December of 1787. It became the official nickname in May 2002, due to a first-grade class’ petition from Mt. Pleasant Elementary School.
What are the unofficial nicknames of Delaware state?
- Diamond State: Alludes to the sentiment of “small but valuable.” Legend has it that Thomas Jefferson gave Delaware this nickname because of its strategic position along the Eastern Seaboard.
- Blue Hen State: It comes from the blue-hen cocks that were brought to cockfights to entertain the soldiers during the Revolutionary War.
- Small Wonder: Due to its size, Delaware was first known as “Uncle Sam’s Pocket Handkerchief” then “Small Wonder.”
- Peach State: Sometime in the 16th-century, the Spanish brought peaches to Delaware. After 100 years, the state was overrun with peach trees.
- New Sweden: Because of a Swedish settlement in 1638, it was called Nye Sverige, or “New Sweden.”
- Land of Tax-Free Shopping: There is no state tax in Delaware, so many tourists come to shop.