North Dakota map highway free
Highway map of North Dakota state. Detailed highways and roads map of North Dakota state with cities and towns. North Dakota road map with exit numbers.
North Dakota roads map
Highway map of North Dakota 2021. Free road map of North Dakota state.
Funny and true nicknames of the state North Dakota
- Flickertail State
- Peace Garden State (currently used on license plates)
- Rough Rider State
- Sioux State
- The Peace Garden State: On its own initiative the North Dakota Department of Motor Vehicles had the words “peace garden state” placed on license plates. It was so popular that the nickname was officially adopted in 1957.
What are the unofficial nicknames of North Dakota state?
- Flickertail State: “Flickertails” refer to squirrels in North Dakota. It is characteristic of squirrels to flick their tails to ward off predators or to balance on a tree limb.
- Roughrider State: The first U.S. Cavalry in the Spanish-American War was made up of several North Dakotans, and they were called the Roughriders. This nickname emerged in the 1960s as part of a tourism initiative.
- Sioux State: Refers to the Sioux tribe which once dominated the region.
- Dakota: Originally a Sioux word, the state attempted to drop “north” from its name.
- Land of the Dakotas
- The Great Central State: Named so for its location near the Great Wheat Belt.